Sunday, July 25, 2010

How not to miss J'slem - Tefillin strap marks

So, this morning, for the nearly the first time since I left Israel last year, I was relieved for a moment that I was NOT in Jerusalem this today.

Got up, went to morning minyan (also an unusual occurrence since I haven't been able to daven much these days, another post later on that), layed tefillin, davened, took the tefillin off, left shul, headed to the local Starbucks for something cold and unhealthy to drink.

As I got out of my car in the parking lot in front of Starbucks I happened to glance down at my arm and saw the imprints from the tefillin straps. My first thought was, "Oh well, at least I'm not in Jerusalem." 

I never thought twice about tefillin strap imprints when I was in Jerusalem - how has so much changed in so short a time? How sad is that?

וְאֵרַשְׂתִ֥יךְ לִ֖י לְעוֹלָ֑ם
וְאֵרַשְׂתִ֥יךְ לִי֙ בְּצֶ֣דֶק וּבְמִשְׁפָּ֔ט וּבְחֶ֖סֶד וּבְרַחֲמִים
וְאֵרַשְׂתִ֥יךְ לִ֖י בֶּאֱמוּנָ֑ה וְיָדַ֖עַתְ אֶת־יְהֹוָה

And I will betroth you to me forever,
And I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice,
And in loving kindness and in compassion;
And I will betroth you to me in faithfulness,
And you will know Hashem.
Hoshea 2:21-22



Created by Jen Taylor Friedman in 2006. Check out her blog at  http://hatam-soferet.dreamwidth.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment